I’m feeling a little bit under the weather today and I’ve been thinking about what to make for dinner that would make me feel better and warm my bones. And I’m sure you can guess what I have what recipe I have decided to make; that’s right ~ Chicken and Rice Soup ~ and maybe a chocolate pie… but we’ll decide on that later… The perfect chicken soup recipe is always the best medicine for a cold. I hope you enjoy this one!
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium carrots, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 celery ribs, halved lengthwise, and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 quarts chicken stock or broth
- 1 cup of white wine
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 large chicken breast, bones in and skin on
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Crusty bread for dipping
- Preheat the oven to 375 degees. Place your chicken breasts on a roasting pan. Cover with olive oil. Salt and Pepper.
- Roast for 35-45 minutes or until juices run clear and the skin is a nice golden brown. Let come to room temperature. Remove from the bone. Shred or dice chicken into bite size pieces.
- Mean while, place a soup pot over medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery, thyme and bay leaf. Cook and stir for about 6 minutes, until the vegetables are softened but not browned. Pour in the chicken broth and wine- bring the liquid to a boil.
- Add in the rice and chicken; season with salt and pepper. Cook on medium-low until the rice is tender-about 30 minutes. Serve hot with crusty bread for dipping.