O.k., so maybe chocolate muffins aren’t the healthiest thing that you could eat for breakfast, but on a special occasion or every once in a while nothing beats a Chocolate Chocolate-Chip Muffin. So my daughter was leaving on a school trip to New York at 5:00 a.m. last week and I thought what a perfect breakfast to make for her and her friends before they head out on such a wonderful adventure. I hope you enjoy them as much as they did.
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips, plus 1/4 cup for sprinkling
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl beat together butter, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, salt and vanilla until fluffy. Beat in eggs, then stir in milk. Mix in flour, then chocolate chips.
- Divide batter equally between the muffin cups, they will be full.
- Sprinkle each muffin with a little coarse sugar if desired.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out without crumbs on it – chocolate is ok. Remove from oven, cool on wire racks 10 minutes, remove from pan to wire racks and cool completely.