One of the best things about summer is the abundance of fruit. I could eat this entire bowl of cherries one right after the other in one sitting. And in fact if I don’t get started on this recipe soon, they will be gone!
The perfect end to a summer meal. Serve a with some french vanilla ice cream for a dessert no one can resist.
- Unsalted butter for greasing pan
- 5 cups pitted cherries (2 pounds whole or 1½ pounds pitted), thawed if frozen
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon light brown sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ⅓ cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- ½ cup shelled, unsalted pistachios
- ⅓ cup rolled oats
- 4 walnuts, shelled
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- Heat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9" pie pan. In pan, mix cherries with 1 tablespoon sugar, lemon juice and 1 tablespoon flour. In a food processor, pulse remaining ½ cup sugar, remaining ⅓ cup flour, pistachios, oats, walnuts, cardamom and salt until nuts are finely chopped, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in butter; sprinkle topping over cherries. Bake until juices bubble thickly and topping is browned, 25 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.