This Steak and Potato Stir-fry dish from Food and Wine magazine is designed to be quick and easy. I invite you, I encourage you to use frozen french fries… Yes, I said it – frozen french fries. Now you can certainly make your own and it will be delightful, but it won’t be as quick and it won’t be as easy.
This by the way would be the perfect dish to make for your football love’n man. He would be thrilled to be sitting on the couch all day drinking beer and watching football and you put this plate in front of him. Just watch his face light up like a kid! Almost as good as when you took your kids to Disney for the first time and saw the look on their faces when you entered Magic Kingdom, something like that but not as sweet!
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound skirt steak
- 1 red onion, halved and slivered
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 8 ounces frozen french fries
- ¼ cup sliced pickled jalapeños
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro
- Hot sauce, for serving
- In a large bowl, combine the olive oil, cumin, coriander, garlic and a generous pinch each of salt and pepper. Cut the steak into 4-inch pieces; slice the steaks across the grain ½ inch thick and add to the bowl along with the onion. Let marinate for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat ½ inch of oil until shimmering. Add the french fries and fry over high heat until golden and crisp, about 3 minutes; drain on paper towels.
- Heat a large griddle until very hot. Add the steak and onion along with the pickled jalapeños and stir-fry over high heat until the meat and onion are cooked through and lightly charred, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the tomato and cook until softened and beginning to char, about 1 minute. Add the french fries and cilantro and flip with a spatula to combine. Serve right away with hot sauce.