There are very few things that are more perfect and pure than homemade vanilla ice cream, except maybe adding some peaches to it. This ice cream is perfect on it’s own or along side some fresh berry cobbler.
Vanilla Peach Ice Cream
Recipe type: Dessert
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons peach preserves
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Combine all ingredients (including the bean and its pulp) in a large saucepan and place over medium heat. Attach a frying or candy thermometer to inside of pan. (see note below) Stirring occasionally, bring the mixture to 170 degrees F. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Remove the hull of the vanilla bean, pour mixture into lidded container and refrigerate mixture overnight to mellow flavors and texture.
- Freeze mixture in ice cream freezer according to unit's instructions. The mixture will not freeze hard in the machine. Once the volume has increased by ½ to ¾ times, and reached a soft serve consistency, spoon the mixture back into a lidded container and harden in the freezer at least 1 hour before serving.
If you do not have a thermometer, bring the mixture just barely to a simmer. As soon as you see a bubble hit the surface, remove it from the heat. Do not let it boil.